Photo: Sundaes and Cones, New York University, New York, NY
Summer is around the corner, and we are sure you cannot wait to go out and enjoy the sun, surf and the great outdoors.
And what’s better to cool off on a hot summer day than some ice cream. It is no wonder then that July is National Ice Cream month (by Congressional resolution the 3rd Sunday of July is actually National Ice Cream Day!).
Ice cream makers are continuously working on new flavors and toppings to grab as much of $21 billion U.S. ice cream industry as they can. Source: 86 Amazing Ice Cream Facts by ecreamery.com https://www.ecreamery.com/amazingly-sharable-ice-cream-facts.html.
What are some of the craziest flavors of ice cream out there? Try beer, lobster, bacon or parmesan gelato. But in case you were wondering, the top 2 flavors remain to be vanilla with 29% of the market, followed by chocolate with 9% http://www.derinice.com/news/15-most-popular-ice-cream-flavors.
For those college-bound students scouting out their future dream schools, you might want to include one other criteria to your search: check out this list of 50 Great College Town Ice Cream Shops updated by Great Value Colleges http://www.greatvaluecolleges.net/50-great-college-town-ice-cream-shops/ like Yale University which has 2 shops in the top 20.
The top 20 rankings in the list go to the following schools:
- Two Spoons, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
- The Maryland Dairy, University of Maryland
- Chillz Frozen Custard, University of New Mexico
- Mallard Ice Cream, Western University University
- Slickables Ice Cream Sandwiches, Arizona State University
- Prince Puckler’s Gourmet Ice Cream, University of Oregon
- IceKrimski Café, University of California at Davis, Davis, CA
- Andy’s Frozen Custard, Northwestern University
- MSU Dairy Store, Michigan State University
- Kurver Kream, University at Albany, Albany, NY
- UDairy Creamery, University of Delaware
- Thomas Sweet Ice Cream and Chocolate, Rutgers University
- UConn Dairy Bar, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- Halo Dairy Farm, College of New Jersey
- Flayvors of Cook Farm, Amherst College, Amherst, MA
- Jake’s Diggity Dog (continues to sell the Hawaii-imported Mochi ice cream), Yale University, New Haven, CT
- Ashley’s Ice cream Café, Yale University, New Haven, CT
- Sundaes and Cones, New York University, New York, NY
- LocoPops, Duke University
- Hot & Cold, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
So go ahead, take the campus tour, pepper the guide with questions and wander around the schools quad. And after a long day trying to find THE school for yourself, sit down and reward yourself with a cone. When you think forward to more tests, standardized exams and application essays, better reward yourself with a double scoop.